My first vegan meal of the week was Faux Pasta. This meal was all about the veg! I was thinking about what I had in the fridge and remembered I had scored about 8 zucchini for $1.50 at Trader Joe’s this week. This week will include meals full of zucchini – both vegan and not vegan. I flashed back to a salad I had with zucchini and carrot ribbons and that became my inspiration.
1 medium zucchini
1 small carrot
8 crimini mushrooms, sliced
8 cherry tomatoes
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup tomato sauce
Chopped fresh basil
– Using a vegetable peeler, slice carrot and zucchini into ribbons.
– Saute mushrooms and onions in a dry pan. TIP: I saved the stems of the mushrooms and diced them and added them to the sauce. They are firmer and give a “meater” texture.
– Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to mushrooms and onions and simmer
– Blanch carrots and zucchini in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and add to sauce.
– Plate and top with olive oil and basil
This dish was tasty, filling and satisfying. You can even twirl the “noodles”.