Sing it! On Thursday, I’m leaving on a jet plane, so it’s time to start the packing process. In true Modernation fashion, the snacks were the first thing to get packed – can’t forget those! I headed to Whole Foods today to pick up some of my favorite travel snacks. I like to be prepared in case I have to go along time between meals. I don’t like to be forced into expensive, unhealthy fast food at the airport or in town.
Some of the things I consider when choosing snacks for the road:
– How well will it travel? Last year I learned that nectarines do not travel well. Bananas also bruise pretty easily in transit. For fresh fruit I either bring apples, or pick up bananas along the way. You can usually find bananas pretty easy in airports and convenience stores.
– How will it satisfy me? Fruit alone will never fill me up. I make sure to pack snacks that have protein, fat and carbs.
– Will it keep? I don’t always eat all of the snacks I pack, so I try to make sure that what I do bring will travel back home with me for a future trip or for use at home.
I picked up some real goodies today:
– 18 Rabbits granola bars
– Individual packets of almond butter
– Individual packets of Tera’s Whey protein powder
– Raw almonds
I brought some options for breakfast replacements because my flight Thursday morning is super early. Plus, in my experience, getting out the door to breakfast on vacation can take forever. This way I can do my own thing if needed. Hopefully I will be able to find some decent fruit on my journey, too.
I was excited to grab some protein powder to take with me. I will pack my Blender Bottle so I can whip up a filling snack anywhere! I was pretty impressed with Tera’s Whey nutritionals and I liked the packaging!
110 calories, 20 grams of protein and only 3 grams of sugar. Plus, the nutrition label and ingredients list does read like an encyclopedia like some protein powders. I don’t use a lot of protein powder, but think it is convenient for traveling.