This isn’t forbidden to eat – just made with forbidden rice (AKA wild rice). Wild rice is on my list of foods I want to add to my diet in 2011, so I created this recipe at the very beginning of the year. I was inspired by the Whole Foods Hot Bar (I think) and here is what I came up with. The result is a mix of savory and sweet, the rice is tender but still has lots of texture. Perfect as a main dish, or side dish with pork or chicken. Yum!
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups kale, chopped
1 cup forbidden rice
1/3 cup raisins (or cranberries or apricots)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
Salt and pepper
1. In medium saute pan, heat half of olive oil. Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add remaining olive oil.
2. Saute rice with mushroom and onion mixture for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add broth, bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and cover.
4. After 30 minutes, add kale, tomatoes and raisins.
5. Simmer another 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed.